From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:37:34 -0400
Andy and other Gulf of Mexico collectors,

This might be a healthy start.  I count 83 species of pelecypods and
gastropods treated at the website.  Giving the benefit of the doubt to the
splitters, twenty are candidates for Gulf of Mexico "endemics."  The list
below is rearranged from the alphabetical format to the more traditional
phylogenetic sequence (with comments).

Nemocardium transversum (I cannot tell this from N. tinctum collected
outside the Gulf)
Agriopoma texasianum
Lirophora clenchi
Pitar cordatus (P. zonatus may be synonymous; if so, not endemic)
Neverita duplicata (let's assume it's Neverita fossata (Gould, 1847) since
it appears likely an endemic, it is quite common in the      Gulf, and the
web-image won't pop up for me.
Cantharus cancellarius
Busycon candelabrum
B. coarctatum
B. lyonsi
B. perversum
B. pulleyi
Busycotypus plagosus
Fasciolaria bullisi
Fusinus couei
F. helenae
F. stegeri

This website has probably listed about five percent of the present-day
total Gulf of Mexico pelecypod plus gastropod species diversity.  I suspect
the endemic portion overall is far less than 20/83.

Harry

At 02:31 PM 10/6/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Conchlers,
>
>To continue the list of resources available for identification of mollusks
>from the Gulf of Mexico, here is a fine website by Harriet Perry and
>Kirsten Larsen, 'A picture guide to shelf invertebrates from the northern
>Gulf of Mexico':
><http://www.gsmfc.org/seamap/picture_guide/main.htm>http://www.gsmfc.org/seamap/picture_guide/main.htm
>
>I hope you find it useful.
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg
>Proud relative of apes, and indeed of the entire living world

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA
Voice: 904-384-6419
Fax: 904-388-6750
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
www.jaxshells.org