From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:03:02 -0500
Andrew and other ranellid inquirers,

With considerable assistance from webmaster Bill Frank, I have posted the
original description and companion figure of the Perry species we've been
discussing.  It's at <http://www.jaxshells.org/loxt.htm>.

Harry

At 04:20 AM 11/13/2004, you wrote:
>>Hello, Listers!
>>
>>I have in front of me a Cymatium lotorium, and a supposedly Cymatium
>>perriyi.  I notice that the latter is shiny, as are some of the
>>pictures I find on the Shell Catalog website.  But, if a lotorium
>>were treated with acid it might very well become similar to the
>>"perryi," including the shine that results when some Filipinos
>>process a shell with acid, a process which is very common.
>>
>>Are there any characteristics to distinguish between real shells of
>>the two species?  I have the data on the lotorium, but not on the
>>perryi.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Linda
>
>Hi Linda
>
>C. lotorium grows considerably larger, I believe, and has dark-brown
>parietal markings. C. triangularis is obviously very closely-related
>(one is probably the ancestor of the other), but has reddish-orange
>apertural margins as well as a lower spire.
>
>I cannot bring myself to regard Lotoria as a good subgenus. These two
>species appear to be very closely-related to Cymatium sensu stricto
>ie C. femorale (genotype), tigrinum, ranzanii & raderi. It is quite
>possible that other "subgenera of Cymatium", such as Monoplex
>(=Septa) and Ranularia, are distinct genera.
>
>Thanks to Harry for pointing out the synonymy of perryi with triangularis!
>--
>Andrew Grebneff

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA
Voice: 904-384-6419
Fax: 904-388-6750
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
www.jaxshells.org