From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:30:40 +1300
>Ceratostoma coreanicum

That'a a new one to me... do you have images?

>I would appreciate any advice in this regard.  Does any of you have
>experience with ultrasonic de-scaling, such as dentists do, with a
>cleaning tip instead of a soak tank.  As M. Monfils pointed out a few
>years ago, that tank cavitation can't remove the calcification, although
>it, like bleach, might remove organic material in the layers and make them
>more susceptible to removal, but his (your, M. Monfils) comments did not
>address the de-scaling use of ultrasound.  Is it likely that that would
>help?

An ultrasonic bath won't loosen deposits very well, but can split
fractured shells.

I have used an ultrasonic scaler with good results on fossils, and it
would probably work for softer encrustations on Recent shells. The
scaler I had was an old unit with a watercooled transducer... the
watercooling wasn't working, so it eventually overhearted and died.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin