From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:47:35 -0800
Hi Constantine,
        I have looked up Stenoplax limaciformis (Sowerby in Broderip &
Sowerby, 1832) in Carol Skoglund's Festivus supplement from January 19,
2001, called Panamic Province Molluscan Literature (Additions & Changes
from 1971 through 2000) Bivalvia & Polyplacaphora and says that the
distribution for the species is from the Gulf of California to Isla Lobos
de Afuera, Perú, according to Kaas & Van Belle, 1987.
        Don't toss the data labels... yet.  You may want to write to Carole
Hertz in San Diego, California (Editor of Festivus Publications/San Diego
Shell Club) and have her check out your Pacific Coast Venado Is., Mazatlán,
Mexico dilemma. In Latin América, there are many islands that have the same
names. Carole is great at Panamic geography and maybe could help you out.
Her e-mail address is:

        As for the East Coast (Atlantic Side of America) I think that your
info might be correct.  Have you sent photos of both species to the Sanibel
Museum, Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History?  If not, you might
try that for ID.
        Well, good luck in your project; it is fun but sometimes frustrating.
Dan

Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California