From:
ross mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:33:55 -0400
Mr. Gunther wrote: "Most of us probably use the "standard" 5.25%
household bleach diluted about 5 to 1 for cleaning shells (about a 1%
solution).".    I must add that many (myself included), have found that
full strengh household bleach (the 5% solution) works better for most
applications - cones, muricids, volutes, pectens, Lopha cristagalli,
tie-dyed jeans etc.  It almost never harms the color of the shells, and
it takes considerably longer than one might imagine, to chew away at
delicate varcies and such.

Regarding environmental consequences of using chlorine-based cleaning
substances, i have found out via leaving containers of bleach out on the
doorstep, that sunlight de-activates it, presumably by causing the
chlorine and the calcium to re-join each other and form harmless calcium
chloride salt - even through the opaque white plastic container, which
to my mind is quite surprising!!  My guess would be that the plastic is
at least partly transparent to high-energy UV radiation, which somehow
catalyzes the reaction which re-forms the chroride salt.  SO, if one
leaves one's left-over chlorine-based cleaning fluids out in the
sunlight for a couple of weeks before disposal, it should be
environmentally neutral.

From the  AGAIN wet, but soon to be white and still Great North,
Ross Mayhew.