From:
Bernardino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:13:07 -0000
dear All

I am not sure if someone mentioned the fact that octopuses are very fine
shell collectors. In same countries local divers visit octopus homes and
bring empty fresh eaten shells ( Cypraea, Marginella ) to sell to collectors
instead of looking for live shells which can be much more difficult to find.
The finding of shells is  easy for octopus who obviously knows the habitat
of shells. In Portugal and some mediterranean countries fishermen use clay
or plastic pots to catch octopus and shells are very often found inside or
attached ( Chlamys, Trivia, Cymatium, Nassariidae )

Merry Christmas to you all

p.s. in Christmas eve the portuguese national dish is boiled salted Cod (
known as bacalhau ) which is eaten with potatoes, cabbage and olive oil but
in the North some people replace Cod by Boiled Octopus. It's a common
procedure
to frozen first the Octopus to tender the meat before cooking.