From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:38:40 -0600
Andrew Grebneff wrote,
> I am tired (and frustrated!) of having postings rejected because the
exceed the absolutely arbitrary daily limit of 5 that the list folk choose
to set, and which they could raise (or remove) at any time.

> Therefore I am unsubscribing as soon as this is sent.

What a pity. Andrew, I always read your informative messages with pleasure
and usually appreciate your humorous ones as well.

I can't speak for the listowner, but I regard the message limit as a good
thing. As someone whose Internet/Web service is provided by my employer (and
is "on" all day whether I log on or not), I didn't realize how difficult
email can be for some people till I visited Argentina last April. I finally
realized what it means for many of our international subscribers to pay by
the minute for their email. They walk into Internet "cafés" (just computers
and phone booths, no coffee) and rent the use of computers. These offices
are busy all day long and people take care of their business as fast as they
can as one of their downtown errands. Downloading lots of messages,
especially long ones that repeat the previous conversation, is more
expensive than downloading a few brief ones.

This is quite aside from another issue, which is that Conch-L is like a big
dinner table, usually with only a few conversations going on at once.
Hundreds are listening, so it's best to make your messages count, and a
limit of five per day is actually pretty generous. If you have more to say,
maybe it's time to set up a private weblog. It would be worth reading.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama