From:
Jody Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:00:54 -0600
Thanks for the replies so far.

Basically, I am wondering about the ability of Philomycus to burrow
compared to other slugs. Does its body shape and mantle size/shape
hinder it, or does it prefer not to burrow? I believe some
Veronicellidae burrow so the size of the mantle wouldn't be an issue,
but perhaps because on Philomycus the mantle does not extend as far
around the body.  Maybe not an issue with the mantle at all. Any ideas
or other hypotheses?

Jody Thompson

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/03/05 5:23 PM >>>
Regarding P. carolinianus, Ingram (Nautilus, 59:87, 1946] said "In
forest
areas during summer dry periods they were found concealed beneath humus,
logs, fallen bark, and in decaying log crevices."

Aydin