From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:51:11 +1000
Ross,

I suspect that your shell is a sub-fossil. I had a "golden" Checkered Cowry that
I took from slity sediment in a cave, at 90 feet down, off of Makau. It had a
perfect finish, apparently falling from the ceiling of the cave into the silty,
chemically-active 'poop' deck of fish leavings below. The cowry's tendency is
to slowly roll until it rests on its base. Then, if the labrum is heavily
callussed, the shell VERY slowly submerges into the silt, labrum first (and it
is slowly covered by a continuous "rain" from above).

The odd coloration on your shell may have been caused by decaying material,
either inside or outside of the shell.

I hope that's of some help.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle