From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 08:04:09 -0700
I live on Vancouver Island and the protected waters of the east coast is
very different from the exposed west coast. Our local beaches in the
protected Strait of Georgia have many species,and many of the dominant
species are introduced from other regions,many imported from Japan with
oyster seed for aquaculture:
the Pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas
the manila clam, Venerupis japonica
our blue mussel is likley a complex of several Mytilus sp. or subspecies.
the snail, Batillaria cumingi
softshell clams, Mya arenaria
a new introduction, the mahagony clam, Nuttallia obscurata (from ballast water?)

other common species are the limpets,
shield limpet, Lottia pelta
mask limpet, Tectura persona
plate limpet, Tectura scutum

periwinkle snails, Littorina sitkana and L. scutulata
frilled dogwinkle, Nucella lamellosa
Lewis'moonsnail, Euspira lewisii

littleneck clams, Protothaca staminea
butter clams, Saxidomus gigantea
several Macoma spp.

These are a few of the common species,we have some 180 bivalve species and
likely >1000 gastropods, likely 100 chiton species in British Columbia.

Rick Harbo
Marine images