From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:14:00 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>       Now about Museum quality:  Perfect is nice---but it's not always necessary. You've seen statues
  in musems without arms and without noses. If a shell is a bit
damaged---but is one of a kind---it is "Museum Quality".
>      Thas all what I know.
>          Art

Absolutely! Some of my favorite specimens are those that show
the scars of successful encounters with predators. Gives em
character.

> ---- Matt Blaine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I have been doing a lot of reading regarding cleaning shells. Some sources
>>recommend a light application of mineral oil on shells. I was wondering if
>>anyone had any advice on the use of mineral oil  or updated information on
>>its use that they would be willing to share? I am new at this and I do not
>>want to damage my specimens by doing something inappropriate.
>>
>>Matt

I've had good luck with Scott's Liquid Gold, which is just
penetrating oil. Does a nice job preserving the periostracum,
but is not sticky enough to attract dust. One can lasts a lifetime.