From:
Katherine Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:43:25 -0400
This doesn't always add gloss to a shell.  It often brings out the color of
a dull shell ... like it looks when it is wet.   It certainly makes the
shell coloration more attractive.      If you look at a display of shells
that have been oiled and one that has not been oiled .... there is a BIG
difference in attractiveness!  I doubt if we are contaminating the shell.
It's a matter of display!

We have shells that are 45 years old with mineral oil on them and they are
just fine!!!  Glycerin especially preserves the perio. On shells that you
would like to save this feature on.

I can't imagine oiling fossil shells.   They are most attractive in dull
white.