From:
"Sarah R. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 17:19:11 EDT
          I am a sophmore in college and my great love is studying the ecology
of gastropods.  Most of what I have leaned about mollusks has been self
taught. I read shell guides by the hour trying to learn the names of the
various snails that are in the many books. I am most often using "Compendium
Of Seashells" by Abbott and Wagner  and The Peterson field guide "Shells Of
The Atlantic, Gulf Coasts and West Indies" by Abbott and Morris as my basic
guides to learn these names. I have noticed that all the species named in the
Peterson guide have common names. Have you seen or read this book? If so have
you noticed if the common names used in this edition are correct or
acceptable. Most people that I am in contact with do not use the latin names
and because of my surroundings  I am only just now learning the latin names.
Do you think that the two books I am currently using are good for scientific
research. If not could you recommend a few. My work is currently in the
Caribbean province and in the Southern Carolinian province.  Thank you.

Sincerely
  Sarah Watson