From:
Cecil Bankston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:38:36 -0400
Thanks for all the replies.  I was influenced by the prominent  dorsal sulcus with no encroachment by the granulations in the middle and right specimens I posted on my web page.  That feature is supposed to be a differentiating criterion for cassiaui.

Some of the pictures of "cassiaui" on the web also appear almost identical to 2 of my specimens, e.g.,
http://www.perlae.fr/price_list/cypraeidae/cypraea_granulata_cassiaui_18_2/3.htm
A Google search will yield several similar images.

Are those specimens probably misidentified?

Do all cassiaui have the violet color, or are there color variants, as some of the pictures on the web would seem to imply?  Do all cassiaui have the same absence of gloss that granulata shows?

Cecil Bankston