From:
Simon Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:33:22 +1100
Thanks John,

110mm is massive!
Someone emailed me that it was found by Peter Clarkson (quite the legendary shell diver here in Australia).
I do know Peter to talk to. Next time I see him I'll ask him about his specimen.
I'd love to see that shell.

When I took my 75mm specimen to the Victorian Malacological society meeting people were amazed at the size. Normally this is considered large at 60mm.
Do any other collectors out there have large specimens?

The triformis murex appears to be active both day and night. Does anyone have more
information on this species. It's one of the more interesting species I see on dives.

Re Cabestana spengleri, I have seen quite a few specimens over 150mm and taken three specimens in a certain area between 170 - 185mm in size. How do I register my 185mm specimen for consideration re WRS? Normally these live in amongst rocks and can be fairly eroded. These three specimens were found on jetty pylons at 6m and are close to gem. Another very interesting species.

Regards,
Simon
Melbourne, Australia

>Hello,
>
>Would anyone know the current World Record size of Pterynotus triformis

110mm from Port Lincoln, South Australia

>(winged murex) found in Southern Australia. I have been seeing (and
>taking the occasional nice one) some quite large specimens circa 60
>-75mm in length. Normally this is around 50mm and under in size.
>Some other shells in this area (eg. I found a 185mm cabestana spengleri!)

184.0 (Don Pisor). You may have a new record there.

John