From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 13:53:57 -0500
Hi Sandy and David,

I don't know of restrictions on shelling nowadays. But I want to let you know that my parents brought me there for about 10 days when I was 15 years old (1969). I did plenty of shelling on the beach at Rendevouz Bay where the only hotel on the island was, with maybe 10 modest units. We did a day's outing to Sandy Island, which was a fairly spectacular reef-fringed islet off Anguilla. It would be interesting to compare what's there now with my haul from back then. Most of the shells I got were small or micros because I mostly did beach collecting.

At that time, Anguilla had rebelled in order to stay a British colony(!). Britain was seeking to grant independence to St. Kitts-Nevis-Anguilla but the Anguillans didn't want to defer to the dictates of a local authoritarian on St. Kitts. They preferred the status quo ante. So, while I was spreading shells out on the floor, the NY Times reporter in the room next door was banging out dispatches on his portable typewriter and another hotel guest, a cement contractor from Florida, "assisted" the local government to write its Constitution while making sure there was generous role for cement in Anguilla's architectural future.

The "rebellion" ended with a contingent of British paratroopers landing on the island to ensure that Anguilla would be independent, no longer a colony.

Shelling and international intrigue, such a natural combination!

Please let us know what you find if you decide to go.

David Kirsh