From:
Simon Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:58:53 +1100
I'm a diver and semi regular purchaser of specimen seashells.

I think the 1-10 scale makes sense but imagine there is low chance of this being accepted.
When purchasing shells good quality photo's are a must, I also like good accurate data.
Things like man made faults eg. chip's or stains from cleaning I really hate and avoid like the plague, but some natural faults like a healed fish bite, certain growth lines I can accept.
I only purchase from trusted dealers, mistakes are always made eg a small chip is missed etc. No one is perfect. Then with good dealers this can be discussed.

When rating the shells I find, I tend to be more critical and often an exceptional shell with a fault will rate higher than a standard shell with a smaller fault. It also comes down to the species, many cool water shells from where I dive never come near to gem, there are always growth lines.

In the end it's all down to personal choice.

I think a 1-10 scale with photo's is the way to go with gradings in the digital age!!

Regards,
Simon Wilson
Melbourne, Australia