From:
"S. Oniiru" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:30:54 -0800
There are some problems with grading dealers.  First is the wide range of
opinions on what’s good bad and otherwise.  Take ebay’s grading system for
example.  There’s the notorious group of PI shell dealer(s) whose fakes are
constantly being brought up on this forum.   Hundreds of buyers (collectors)
have had something good to say about them in the form of positive feedback.
The rest of us think these people are clueless.   How can we get a grade for
these dealers when there are all these different opinions?

Another problem with grading is emotion.  Few have stood up and given
negative feedback to the dealers of Cebu doctor’s wares.  How few of us can
take negative criticism and not strike back?  Many strike back out of anger,
i.e. the previous mentioned lawsuit threats of the past, and retaliatory
feedback of the present on ebay.  Dependant on what you feel you can lose
versus what might be gained by leaving negative feedback; often we choose
not to risk the loss.   I’m guilty of this, aren’t many of you?  Haven’t
many of you been burned on ebay?  Where’s your negative feedback?

A third problem is how do you rate a dealer who has sent you both good and
bad stuff?  A hit and miss guy that you’re not willing to give up on because
when it’s good, it’s good.

It seems to me it pretty much keeps boiling down to what most of us are
already doing.  Try a new dealer with a small enough investment that won’t
hurt to lose.  If you like the stuff, keep going as long as it’s good.

Shea