From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:04:07 -0800
To all Conch-L:

        This has indeed been an interesting thread ... the decline of shell clubs.  For years in the Los Angeles area there were a number of shell clubs (ie., Conchological Club of Southern California, Pacific Shell Club, Santa Barbara Shell Club, Yucaipa Shell Club, and Long Beach Shell Club amongst others) and many members were members of several of the others.  However in the middle and late 1980's due to whatever reason membership began to decline particularly for the CCSC as many members were in their 70's and 80's (and even 90's!).  This combined with the fact that the CCSC met in south-central LA on Monday evenings at the Natural History Museum of LA County certainly did not help bolster growth and/or attendance. The Santa Barbara Shell Club and the Long Beach Shell Club and perhaps the Yucaipa Shell Club are now defunct.  The Pacific Shell Club met on Sunday afternoons at various locations in LA.  Therefore, some of us got a brilliant idea ... merge the two surviving organizations into one and continue to meet on Sundays.  The surviving Pacific Conchological Club still does well ... in fact there are now members under 30 years old!  Farther south the San Diego Shell Club continues to thrive due to the magnificent efforts of Carole and Jules Hertz.  So perhaps too many shell clubs in small geographic areas contribute to declining membership.  Or perhaps it's due to a fateful piece written by Art in the Hawaiian Shell News [June 1988, 36(3):11] ... "How to destroy a shell club" never-the-less it's humorous reading.  Happy holidays.

Aloha,

Lindsey