From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 01:34:27 -0600
Mark,

Along with the new South African book that Ross mentioned, an excellent
resource for information on the S.A. Conus is "The Strandloper,"  Bulletin
of the Conchological Society of Southern Africa.  Three issues come to mind:

Issue No. 195, April/May 1979, Conidae of South Africa, V.G. Millard & D.
Freeman, pgs. 2-11, including two full page color plates and a map.

Issue No. 225, January/June 1989, Conidae of South Africa (follow-up), W.R.
Liltved & V.G. Millard, pp. 12 including three full page color plates (the
entire issue is devoted to this article).

and a third, though just the cover page is:
Issue No. 234, December 1992, Conus natalis vs. Conus gilchristi, Gerald
Smith, cover, illustrates in color some extreme variations of these two Cones.

There maybe some other issues of Strandloper that include articles on the
S.A. cones.

I believe Mike Cortie <[log in to unmask]> should be able to tell you if
those issues are still in print or not.  The first two are "must haves".

Rich