From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:37:29 -0500
Mr. Sahlman:

You may "feel" that Linnaeus is "pseudo-Latin" invented by "English speaking
authors" but you obviously have not carefully read or understood the
postings on this subject, nor do have you read, nor do you evidently know,
anything about Linnaeus.  The father of Carolus Linnaeus was Nils Linnaeus
(1674-1748) who had at first borne a patronymic as was customary. When he
enrolled in university he had to add a surname of his choice.  His choice
was Linnaeus.  His son, Carolus of natural history fame had, of course, the
same surname.

The first copy of "our" Linnaeus' handwriting available to me is in the
"Album Studiosorum" in which, upon matriculating at Univ. Leyden on 3
September 1735, he signed his name as "Carolus Linnaeus."

When he was ennobled in 1761 (ante-dated to 1757) he took the name von
Linné.

You are free to use whichever name you wish but please do not accuse English
speaking people of being unable to properly translate into Latin (or that we
do so without reason).

Dick Petit