From:
ronald noseworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:51:51 -0800
Hi, Everyone!

Speaking of remote places, maybe my former home in southern
Newfoundland, Canada, can be considered as remote.  As far
as I know, for most of my forty years of collecting in this
province, I was the only serious collector in the entire
area.

I have several special memories.  The first is collecting my
first shell, a specimen of Stagincola elodes, on April 29,
1964.  (I kept good data from the beginning!)  Intrigued by
Tucker Abbott's first edition of American Seashells, I
decided to become a shell collector.

Another is making my first dredge, following some
instructions found in the AMU pamphlet "How to Study and
Collect Shells".  This was a rather large, triangular
affair, and was quite difficult to haul up by hand, but I
dredged a lot of species never found on the rather
parsimonious Newfoundland beaches.  I recall inviting
several fellow collectors, whom I had corresponded with, to
visit me at my home in Grand Bank for field trips and
dredging.  Some, I remember, were from Nova Scotia,
Manitoba, and New York.  It was wonderful to have kindred
spirits with me to talk about shells and help them collect
something different for their collections.

My third memory is of a summer field trip to an island in
the middle of a large bay on the southern coast of
Newfoundland.  I went there for a week with two French
researchers, a botanist and a mammalogist.  This island is a
wildlife sanctuary and we needed a special permit to go
there.  I especially remember one evening, near sunset, when
I was doing some low-tide beach collecting.  A small herd of
bison (buffalo) had been placed on the island several years
previously as an environmental experiment.  Only two, a male
and female, had survived and they decided to stroll along
the coast that evening.  I heard them coming and snuggled in
close to the low bank near the beach.  They walked by, just
above me, and to say that I was as quiet as a mouse would be
an understatement.

So, I guess, remoteness can be relative.  My own home town
could be considered remote by most people!

All the best from Korea!
Ron Noseworthy