From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 01:19:06 -0500
All Very Interesting!
Two places come to mind for myself. Years ago I took my boat & truck by
barge from Oahu to Maui to collect Spondylus linguafelis. On calm days I was
able to dive the outer fringing reefs of Kaho'olawe Island. The Navy
announced days when there wasn't any bombing runs at that time. In 35ft the
bottom was covered in black coral trees & un-exploded ordinance! My anchor &
chain was drapped over a 300 pounder. Ouch! This area yielded many near
white Cypraea tigris schilderiana & saw many Charonia tritonis. It was
shocking to see more Hawaiian Monk Seals there than sharks.

Then I had the chance to dive Easter Island off Chile for tropical fish &
shells. Took 4 days from Oahu to go to Tahiti, then Santiago, Chile where I
awaited a "once a week" supply plane bound for Australia with a re-fueling
stop in Easter Island. I found new species of both diving down to 220ft on
twin tanks daily. The highlight was finding a Polynesian canoe anchor which
I donated to the local museum(gave weight to Marquesans populating the
island rather tha Chilean Indians as Thor Heyerdale speculated).

Thanks for allowing me to share my experiences!  CHRIS:)