From:
Kevin Czaja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:32:30 -0500
So I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me solve the mystery
of "Pyrgiscus caroliniana (Tuomey and Holmes)" or the Carolina
Turbonille.  This is a species presented in Richards J. Heuer, Jr.'s (now
out of print) "Exploring for Sea Shells on Martha's Vineyard" (1970).
I've used this excellent book a lot as it provides specific information on
where to collect and what you can expect to find.  However, I do not know
what his entry on "Pyrgiscus caroliniana (Tuomey and Holmes)" refers to.
I've joked with my friend about Mr. Heuer inventing this species as an
April Fools prank.  I (and no one I know) can seem to find the original
Tuomey and Holmes literature describing this shell (or another reference
in the literature to this mollusk of any kind).  Heuer does not provide a
date for the original Tuomey and Holmes description.  I could easily just
dismiss this whole issue except that this past year I ended up finding
some turbonilles on Martha's Vineyard that match the particular
description that Heuer provides (the most tell-tale factor being that they
are described as being "brownish in color," a characteristic that as far
as I can tell, is absent in all other Northwestern Atlantic turbonilles -
and not something I've noted in any of the many other turbonilles I've
found across New England).  If any one has any information that might help
me solve this mystery, I would greatly appreciate it!

Oh, and if you intend to email me directly, please use my work address:
[log in to unmask]  I won't get it otherwise.

-Thanks, Kevin Czaja