From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:40:03 -0500
Mr. Dayle has taken exception to my last posting on Linnaeus. In response I
would make two comments.  First, he does not seem to recognize mild sarcasm
(actually the library probably threw out the MacGillivray as it was too
superficial - not just on Linnaeus - to be of value). Second, after several
postings from various people, myself included, in which chronologies were
given and an explanation given for the name Linné, Mr. Dayle offered his
"data" as: "the facts with less 'time' distortion than later books. Add this
tidbit to growing heap info on Linne'"

Unfortunately, as had been previously shown, this "data" was not factual.
Why add a false "tidbit?"

I am sure that Mr. Dayle is extremely knowledgeable about cowries.  If he
were to put up a posting explaining to someone how cowries build their
shells, what would be his reaction if I subsequently posted a message
stating that his information was not entirely correct and quote from a paper
by Lovell A. Reeve in the Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London?
There it is unequivocally stated that cowries, when desiring to increase
their size, simply dissolve their shells and build new and larger ones.  The
process is described in some detail. Should this "tidbit" of "knowledge" be
revived and added to our books?

I am also aware, as is Mr. Dayle,  that not all library discards are "junk"
as more than once I have been offered rare and valuable literature which the
sellers obtained when they "happened to be walking by the campus library and
they were piled up on the grass for anyone who wanted them."

Let us now move on to other subjects...

Regards to all,

dick petit