From:
Lyle Therriault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:43:27 -0500
Here in North Carolina, boring clams are very common. In the area of Kure
beach, at the end of the road past where you turn to catch the ferry there
is a dilapitated old "pier" ( nothing but the hull of one now) that is
riddled with bore holes, and if I remember correctly in the banks by the
waters edge there were numerous bored holes, assuming made by such clams as
well.

LT

in 1969 when I spent the summer on Big Pine Key and vicinity. I've also
found coral- and rock-boring clams in various locales in the West Indies
and in North Carolina.

> I saw enough that I waited for a small manageable piece to take home
rather than start hammering at the shoreline. Sometimes specimens can be
carefully extracted without breaking the substrate. Breakage is easy in any
case.

> David Kirsh
>
> -
>
> Man's attitude toward nature is today critically important simply because
we have now acquired a fateful power to alter and destroy nature. - Rachel
Carson, early 1960s