From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:53:27 -0400
Dear Conch-L members,

  Anyone who has seen my collection knows that my shells are clean, with
the exception of my small Calliostomas.  I received a couple of new ones
recently and as usual they had dead matter in their spires. I soaked
them in water for a day and lightly blasted them with water.  It didn't
do anything.  So I thought of putting them in hydrogen peroxide for a
while.  To my amazement the shells were clean when I checked on them two
days later. (I try not to use bleach on my Calliostomas, only for a
limited time).

  I have used hydrogen peroxide when cleaning out the inside of my
shells when bleach was unsuccessful.  Then I wash them well and put them
back in bleach and vice-versa and it cleans the inside of a shell with
efficiency.

  I don't know what would happen if bleach and hydrogen peroxide were
mixed together. I don't think would do much good as a cleaning agent.
However, what would be released into the air from the combination?
Would it be poisonous?