Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:27:37 -0500
MR ART WEIL wrote:

> Dear Y'all;-
>     We appear to have had a number of people complain lately that we
> are not discussing subjects they want to read about. Therefore, down
> goes the gauntlet.
>    How about suggesting topics that you WOULD like to see under
> discussion. No matter what you are interested in, someone knows more
> about it than I do. I'll start it out by suggesting a few things I'd
> like to know more about:
>    1. I'd like to more about Dr. Rowland Zeigler who gave us that
> wonderful Olive book. Did any of you know him?
>    2. I'd like to know the effect of river effluent on nearby marine
> environments. Do they bring more nutrient or more pollutant into
> marine systems? Are there "good" rivers and "bad" rivers? How far is
> their effct felt?
>    3. When we have a shell that is known from only one or two
> specimens, should it go on the endangered species list? Or do we take
> the position that we just haven't looked hard enough.
>    That's a start. You can either add to this interest list or give
> us your own.
>             Art

In reference to the rivers, to much nutrient has had a polluting effect
at least here in So.Fla.  The runnoff from the big sugar companies has
caused large amount of fertilizer to run into the Everglades eco system
which causes many types of algae and other plants to grow out of control
and choke out everything else.  Also many rivers now have many little
streams running into them from various communities to channell the rain
runoff which contains oil and everything else.  This also eventually
provides for an over abundence of freshwater entering the end the
Everglades at Shark Valley where Florida Bay and the Everglades meet.
This has caused various problems which is effecting the marine ecosystem
significantly.  Any locals have further info. as mine is only from the
papers and tv and from an amatures point of view.