From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 03:24:52 -0400
Aloha Lyle,
I have collected isabella from as far North as Hawaii to Easter Island in
the Southern Indo-Pacific & Westerly to Phuket. I feel the larger, heavier,
thickly robust Cypraea isabella controversa Gray, 1824 is indeed a valid
subspecies. The large orange blotched terminals with infused black is
unique. The only other species that have this characteristic is
isabellamexicana Stearns, 1893. But the outlined shapes of the 2 species clash.

Now isabella atriceps Sch & Sch, 1937 also has this characteristic. But in
my humble(?) opinion this is just a male controversa. Males in Hawaiian
Cyp's are generally found deeper than females, are more elongated, smaller,
& never have been found on eggs. The 1,000's ive seen in my life atest to
this fact.

Take gaskoini Reeve, 1846. We find huge calloused egg-laying females in
10-30ft. The smaller males, often called gaskoini fisheri Vayssiere, 1910
are 30-180ft. A study may be needed to determine if temperature, food
source, or mating practices is the cause for this separation. Might explain
why some years certain species become rarer or commoner?                CHRIS:)