From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 15:36:29 -0700
thanks Dick for your information. Is there a separate "Cuming collection" at
the British Museum? I looked at Banks collection last summer when I was in
London.

Do you have any information about Lady Katherine Douglas (later Wigram)
1817-1863, who donated material (1835-1841)from western North America to the
British Museum. Carpenter (1857) noted "perhaps the earliest specimens of
...Californian shells seen in this country were those sent from Oregon by
Lady Katharine Douglas." A local historian has not been able to find any
reference of Lady Douglas visiting North America- it is most likely that
specimens were collected by  the name on labels "Simpson,Esq" and
transported to Lady Douglas in England. I was not able to see any of these
at the British museum, only an old notebook, compiled by a volunteer,
listing material (corals, sponges, barnacles) donated Lady Douglas.
cheers
Rick Harbo
Nanaimo, B.C.