From:
Geoff Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 22:44:50 +1000
Ross
For smaller species (<15mm) definitely alcohol for a few days and then dry
out thoroughly.
Larger shells can be a challenge especially with the more fragile ones.
Alcohol works as above - even things likr Vodka when youre travelling but
you do need to remove the body at some stage.
Recently I have found drowning in water,  with a crystal of menthol(from
local pharmacist) to anaesthetise, and leave for 24 hours is effective. This
seems to relax the animal and sometimes makes getting it out easier. Can be
a little smelly and messy but I guess this goes with the territory.
Needless to say dont leave them soaking for too long.
For transport - calico or similar fabric bags that do not sweat, otherwise
you may get a smelly lump of dead tissue. Particularly good for desert/drier
area species that aestivate as you can take them with you and sort at
leisure
Geoff