From:
Sarah Longrigg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:32:49 -0400
Thank you for this help.

I had already wondered if it was Panomya arctica (as described in Tebble.
N: British bivalve seashells and Oskarsson, I: Skeldyrafana Islands) but
the hinge line doesn't seem to match the decription exactly. I can't find
a description of P. trapezoides, but in the abstract of "AN OVERVIEW OF
THE LATE CENOZOIC BIVALVE PANOMYA IN JAPAN" by REI NAKASHIMA (Journal of
Paleontology: Vol. 79, No. 3, pp. 509–519.) both species are stated to
have extended their ranges into the North Atlantic at various times, so I
suppose either could be possible. I have no way of finding out and don't
immediately have access to the full article to see if there is further
information there, but at least it seems that I guessed right on the genus.

Many thanks once again.

Regards

Sarah Longrigg