From:
Robert Avent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:47:45 -0400
     I'm not an avid sheller and I don't know whether there is a local or
     regional club that might host a meeting here in New Orleans.  But the
     meeting facilities are world class and there's a lot of fun to be had
     in general.  For the divers among you, there are hundreds of
     accessible offshore oil and gas platforms and some deeper divable
     banks.  But the the East and West Flower Garden Banks is a marine
     sanctuary and off limits to collecting.  The fauna is largely
     subtropical Carolinean, and the Flower Gardens are about the farthest
     north, North American hermatypic reefs.

     Don't even try to come during Mardi Gras or the Jazz Fest, though.
     The summer is good if you can take the heat.

     Robert M. Avent, Ph.D.
     Oceanographer
     Minerals Management Service
     New Orleans, LA