Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:05:40 +0200
Dear Umit,
I don't have any other explanation for it.
At the Natufian site of En Malaha (about 10-9 thousand years ago), on the
west bank of the former Hula swamps in Upper Galilee, Israel, we had besides
the local land- and freshwater molluscs marine molluscs from the
Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea, freshwater bivalves from the Nile, in Egypt
and pliocene freshwater snails from a site at the border of Turkey and
Syria! A similar site in the Eastern part of Syria produced shell beads made
from freshwater molluscs from the Sea of Galilee, a few kilometers from En
Malaha.
Already during those days and even much earlier (see the recent paper in
Science) trade was already well developed even over large distance. The site
in Algiers was at least 190 km from the nearest shore!
Regards,
Henk