From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:51:21 -0400
Paul Monfils wrote:

> It was recently stated that certain species had been removed from the
> endangered species list because they are now extinct.  Who decides
> that a species is "now extinct", and how?  Is there some specific
> criterion, like no specimens collected in the past X number of years?
> Paul M.

 Hello!

Hi Paul,

I suppose that the passenger pigeon was a consensus opinion or that the
last survivor died in captivity. Either the USFWS or The Nature
Conservancy probably have "authority" to declare extinctions. Your
question probably has the answer both time and "no species detected"
criteria. As to who the "pope" is to declare extinction it may be who
publishes the loudest.

All the talk about the conservancy should not be taken at face value as
they, The Nature Conservancy, have done some underhanded things to
individuals and groups. Search and be informed before you leap into their
Greener Pastures.

--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power