From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:18:21 -0500
The answer to your question is ... sonicate!  A small ultrasonic cleaner
isn't too expensive, and it will remove every trace of sand and dirt and
grit from a shell in a few seconds, while being very gentle to the shell
itself.  There are always many ultrasonic cleaners available on EBay.  Some
are quite large and powerful, and expensive.  But many of them are small and
inexpensive.

Paul M.