From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:55:32 -0800
Doug, I recently went to the Galapagos in November 2004.  The government of
Ecuador has protected about 95% of the islands by placing them in national
park status.  The remaining 5% are where the villages and farms have existed
historically.  The government has a policy (or regulation) that tourists may
only land on the islands at designated places (there are about 20 of these).
In addition, whenever a party of tourists lands they must be accompanied by
a certified guide (to be a guide you must have a BS degree in biology or
similar science).  I say this to point out that the guides were all very
knowledgeable and well qualified.  However none of the guides I met knew
much of anything about mollusks (they knew plants, birds and geology and
ecology).

During my time there I was repeatedly reminded that NOTHING was to be taken
from the islands (not a single feather, pebble or shell). And at customs
when departing they do ask about this and searched some bags. But since I'm
a shell collector, I'd collect the shells on the beach or while snorkeling
and then photograph them and return them or leave them there for the next
person to marvel at.

I agree with you that there are a great deal of shells from the Galapagos
for sale.  Some may actually be from historical collections.  We have had
shells that were collected during the 1960's sold at our Pacific NW Shell
Club auction during the last year from long time collector's collections.

I think it may be acceptable to collect shells in the 5% of the islands that
are NOT in the parks.  I'd especially think that this would be likely if you
had your own boat.  But I'm not sure of this.  The entire area around the
islands is a marine sanctuary.

I personally would not buy any shell from the Galapagos, unless I was sure
it was from a historic collection.  That's just my personal opinion.  The
islands are truly a magical place and there is so much to see and to learn
there that not being able to collect anything but photos and notes is a
small problem.

If you have any further questions please contact me via e-mail.  There is a
"hard-to-find" shell book that I have and lot's of general science books
about the islands that are very useful.

Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA, USA