From:
Lyle Therriault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:05:48 -0500
Bill,

many thanks for your reply. I find all this to be of much interest!

I can only assume that thru the years erythraeensis had migrated west into
the Carribean if it's general locale is East Africa.  This seems almost
uncanny but I suppose it is possible.....there was much discussion about
this subject in several private emailings among some cone collectors a
while back, and the general consensus then was that couderti was in fact
beddomei, in reference mostly to the black and white color pattern that you
mentioned.  It seems almost all "couderti" available on the market now are
of the typical brown and white zig zag like patterning, which I assume
doesn't necessarily mean they are dead collected, but I have not to this
day seen a black and white one and I would sure like to find one for my
collection.

Unfortunately concerning beddomei, the only ones i see available now are
the usual  reddish- brownish-orangy-greenish-yellowish varieties....with
the yellow being scarcest. These are readily available to most collectors
at usually somewhat high costs which i cant figure out because they don't
appear to be rare.

I sense another complex brewing.......

Lyle

So,
> keep your eye out for more variation than you have seen so far!
>
> "I've long heard from other cone
> collectors that a true beddomei has the black and white color pattern."
>
> Comment:  The existing holotype of Conus beddomei is a dead, faded shell
> that has a brown (not black) and cream pattern.  Alan Kohn shows a photo
of
> it on his website.  When specimens of the shell (like the holotype in
> pattern) were "rediscovered", most were live collected black and white
with
> the same pattern as the holotype of C. beddomei.  Since this time, many
> other shells have been found showing a much wider range of variation -
> including solid colored ones.  Biologically, they are the same species.
> Unfortunately,  these shells (of C. beddomei) have been sold for $50-$100
> each, so most collectors only get one or two specimens and do not see the
> variation.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Bill Fenzan
> Norfolk, Virginia, USA
>
> Reference:
> Coomans, Moolenbeek & Wils. 1986. Alphabetical revision of the (sub)
species