From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:21:04 -0200
Ben

Spondylus calcifer is commercially fished in Ecuador for exportation of its meat. The shells are
very heavy (and ugly) - I have one specimen here which weights almost 3 kilos! I don't know the most
southern occurrence of this species.

Our specimens of S. princeps from Peru were collected in Paita, Piura, north Peru, taken by nets. I
also found in Ecuador at 10 meters by dive.

Marcus