From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:43:04 -0700
Horatio Buck wrote:

> My opinion on rare mollusca is that there really aren't many rare species,
> just undiscovered or unaccessable habitats, thus making them a poor
> financial investment.  You should collect for beauty and not value.
> Horatio

Oh, I think there are truly rare shells but I agree with both the habitat
as the driver and the collect for beauty not investment.

I believe there must be restricted habitats with endemic species - making
them a rare shell.  We have a landsnail here that is limited to a single
canyon in some mountains just north of where I live.  This is a small
canyon full of thorns.  There are thorns on the locust trees, on the
cactus, and on a solid ground cover of some kind of berry (like a
blackberry bush only much more vicious).  It is such a small, restricted
habitat that I am sure there are not many snails there.  The canyon is
only some 100 to 200 feet wide at the mouth and quickly gets much
smaller.  It is unusual for this area as it has a fairly permanent stream
which may explain why these guys are only in this canyon.  They may have
never figured out (evolutionarily speaking) how to cope with our dry
environment and are thus naturally restricted to the canyon with the
water.  Unfortunately, this is the one snail I have found in this state
but I won't collect any because I just don't know what the effect would
be (of course there is always the chance that just behind the wall of
thorns are thousands of snickering snails enjoying my every scratch,
poke, and stab from the ubiquitous thorns).  I keep hoping for a fresh
dead specimen or two but so far they are all busted up and bleached
white.  It is time to try some other mountain.

As to collecting for beauty not value.  I would add interest.  This means
collecting an ugly shell because it is intriguing, or completes a family
collection, or has unusual habits or life patterns, etc.  I always
enjoyed xenophora and I would certainly not call most them winners in any
good looks contest.  My interest in this family was re-awakened by Harry
Berryman on this list.  Now that I have learned more about them I like
there odd looks AND their unusual habits.

Take your shots,

Tom Eichhorst in the Land of Thorns