From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:04:40 -0800
Fabio and others, I checked the Google image that you provided and must say
that the "Pacific Lepton Clam" can be found in much deeper water than 5
meters.  In 2001 I dredged one up in S. Puget Sound attached to a sea mouse
[Aphrodita] from 123 meters depth.

In addition in December 2006 an article in the Dredgings newsletter of the
Pacific Northwest Shell Club has a fascinating story from B.C. Canada.
William Merilees reports finding a commensal crab [Pinnixa faba] with a
small mussel [Mytilus trossulus] attached to its shell.  But the neat part
is that the crab was living inside a purple mahogany clam [Nuttallia
obscuratus (Reeve, 1857)].  N. obscutatus are non-native introduced clams
from Asia which arrived in about 1990 probably in bilge water and are now
the most common bivalves in some locations in N. Washington State and S.
British Columbia, Canada beaches. Marilees reports finding the first example
in May 2000 but repeating the observation twice more in October 2000.  Bert
Bartleson, Olympia, WA, USA