From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:54:39 -0700
>Horatio Buck wrote:
>
>> My opinion on rare mollusca is that there really aren't many rare species,
>> just undiscovered or unaccessable habitats, thus making them a poor
>> financial investment.  You should collect for beauty and not value.
>> Horatio
>

>Oh, I think there are truly rare shells but I agree with both the habitat
>as the driver and the collect for beauty not investment.
>
>I believe there must be restricted habitats with endemic species - making
>them a rare shell.  We have a landsnail here that is limited to a single
>canyon in some mountains just north of where I live.  This is a small
>canyon full of thorns.  There are thorns on the locust trees, on the
>cactus, and on a solid ground cover of some kind of berry (like a
>blackberry bush only much more vicious).  It is such a small, restricted
>habitat that I am sure there are not many snails there.  The canyon is
>only some 100 to 200 feet wide at the mouth and quickly gets much
>smaller.  It is unusual for this area as it has a fairly permanent stream
>which may explain why these guys are only in this canyon.  They may have
>never figured out (evolutionarily speaking) how to cope with our dry
>environment and are thus naturally restricted to the canyon with the
>water.  Unfortunately, this is the one snail I have found in this state
>but I won't collect any because I just don't know what the effect would
>be (of course there is always the chance that just behind the wall of
>thorns are thousands of snickering snails enjoying my every scratch,
>poke, and stab from the ubiquitous thorns).  I keep hoping for a fresh
>dead specimen or two but so far they are all busted up and bleached
>white.  It is time to try some other mountain.
>
>As to collecting for beauty not value.  I would add interest.  This means
>collecting an ugly shell because it is intriguing, or completes a family
>collection, or has unusual habits or life patterns, etc.  I always
>enjoyed xenophora and I would certainly not call most them winners in any
>good looks contest.  My interest in this family was re-awakened by Harry
>Berryman on this list.  Now that I have learned more about them I like
>there odd looks AND their unusual habits.
>
>Take your shots,
>
>Tom Eichhorst in the Land of Thorns

Tom, I have to agree about the fascination over Xenophora.  There will
never be 2 identical shells because of their own collecting habits.  I've
learned a lot "from the Xenophora" about collectin shells.  Do you know
about a new Xenophora book coming out soon.  Gijs Kronenberg sent me a copy
of Ponder's book and also said that another book should be out soon.  I'll
let you know if I find out anything new.
        Also, your Monodenia shells were put in the mail this morning.  A
friend from L.A. came on Monday and my schedule is behind... but the shells
shouls be there by Monday or Tuesday.  Remember, "It is Snail Mail."  Ha!
Ha!
I hope that you enjoy.
Dan

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto