From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:24:19 -0500
Dear readers,

When last we left off, we had explored the frozen confines of Chilean
Locos (or Concholepas concholepas). Funds for my expedition were, alas,
too meager to procure this exotic delicacy at $45.99 for 2 pounds.

The cashier told me that Food World is not a chain supermarket. This
deepens the mystery of how this multicultural hybrid came to be....A
taqueria section astride large bottles of kim-chee....baskets of salted
cod next to the Instant Ginger Honey Tea....

Here's today's malacological mystery from Food World: What commercial
clam is imported from China that is labeled "Meretrix lusoria" but is
nearly circular and looks unlike any illustrations of M. lusoria I've
come across?

By the way, this mystery clam is delicious in its own broth with green
onions and sliced serrano chiles .

I've got jpgs if anyone wants to ID this for me. Please contact me
off-list.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC