Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:43:31 +0300
First, Xerocrasa cretica (not Trochoidea anymore) is a rather restricted
invasive (Mediterranean only) and does show so much polymorphism in the
outside range (totally white or few faint bands).

Second, rather correct way to put it was saying the pattern is totally of
pisana. Besides no Helicellinae (-dae) (Hygromiidae is the correct term
here) is globular in shape.

Candidula observation is interesting. But note that even coastal, it is not
a Mediterranean species but an Atlantic one. Indeed, i doubt if they can
survive summers Theba do and if they get such long dry seasons. Like
Cernuella and Cochlicellas Theba is a dune dweller on the other hand...

Don't have an idea? Then ask Mediterranean snailers :)

Ümit
Mostly slugger