From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:38:11 -0500
In the old collection I am sorting, there seem to be 3 types of
Asaphis.  Not only has the collection suffered over time, but it was
assembled from collections, some of which had suffered over time.
Thus, not all the information (if any) is wholly reliable.  Anyone
care to comment how these match up with specimens you have available?

Species 1: Appears to be the Caribbean deflorata.  Relatively heavy
shell, ribbing not evident on interior, posteriorventrally relatively
angular; lower ribs which tend to be right triangles, so they look
almost imbricated.  New ribs arise primarily by intercalation.

Species 2: Appears to be the Indo-Pacific violascens.  Lighter shell,
ribbing reflected on posterior interior margin.  Ventrally and
posteriorventrally more rounded.  Ribs more cordlike, though still
appearing somewhat imbricated, and taller than deflorata.

Species 3: No very reliable locality info, no matching species spotted
yet in handy references.  Moderately heavy shell, but ribbing evident
on shell interior.  Ribs broad, often bifurcating, only weakly tilted
surface.

All highly variable in color pattern.

--
Dr. David Campbell