From:
Russ Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:04:53 -0800
Marlo and All,

There is another aspect to the outward appearance of shell clubs not yet
discussed. This directly relates to the popularity of these clubs in
"younger" people.

Let me start by apologizing to all of those that I am about to offend.

I am not "younger" currently, but have been a shell club member for almost
20 years - Not just a member, several times an officer! My involvement has
waxed and waned over the years but I did try to attend all meetings while an
officer, many times contributing programs, educational or not, and often
contributing to newsletters.

Though a shell collector for 44 years, I have had other interests as well,
among them racing cars, off road vehicles, travel and scuba. The last two
fit nicely with being a "shell collector" and allowed me - no - us to expand
our collection and in some small way, maybe contribute in a more
 "scientific" way. So my wife and I have been diver collectors for 19 years.

Now to my point - These other interests were also pursued with long time
friends. I remember several times meeting to go for an ATV ride on Sunday. I
would tell my fellows that I would have to cut it short to attend a meeting
that afternoon. Later, it would go something like this:

Friend - (Covered with mud, maybe bleeding a bit here and there from contact
with blackberries, bushes, trees, etc.) "So what's your meeting about?"

Me - (Indistinguishable in appearance from friend and a bit reluctant) "It's
our shell club."

Friend - (Looks as though I had just put on a dress and high heels) "Shell
club! I suppose that you are going to have tea and cookies?"

Me - (Putting down my beer) "Well yes, we might."

I would usually leave it at that not needing to prove that shell collecting
was a "manly" pursuit. And the proof might have actually put my friend in
his place, something I did not need to do. Little did he know the extremes
Sue and I had gone to in the quest for "seashells". I could have asked him
if he would dive into near freezing water, in a snow storm, with 5 feet of
visibility, in high current, near the maximum depth for scuba to collect
Calliostoma annulatum. Would he dive with sharks, eels, jellyfish, seasnakes
and poisonous fish to collect a shell? Would he venture into politically
unstable parts of the world, face "federalies" with machine guns and the
ever present customs agents "Sir, what is that smell coming from your
luggage?" NO?! How about totaling a hotel shuttle bus or having a tooth
pulled in a small village in Mexico? Of course it was also needless to point
out that a woman, my wife, had done these thing as well.

The obvious hazard in pointing these things out was a move clear past
 "manly" to "crazy".  But, we would not have it any other way and still
attend meetings occasionally.

Russ (and Sue)