From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:10:51 -0600
> Nonetheless, I find in Preston (1915: 19) the name semilaevigata cited as a
> subvariety of Tiara (Striatella) nevilli (Brot, 1877) and attributed to
> Nevill (1885). The commentary states that it is from the Andaman Is. and
> that it is a nomen nudum (no description or figure). The fact that Annandale
> "recognized" the taxon in 1921 probably means that he acknowledged it above
> the varietal level. I'm presuming he validated it as well by providing an
> indication (description and/or figure).

Looking again, the 1921 Manipur paper is very likely the right one.
Subba Rao cites Annandale as recognizing multiple varieties within the
species, but also as recognizing them as inconstant.  I'm not sure
what taxonomic level Annandale used.  I think Subba Rao is lumping a
bit, though varieties based on sculpture variation within a population
are all too commonplace in the Mollusca.  nevilli is not mentioned
among the eight varieties listed by Subba Rao, but he does not give
complete synonymies.  I strongly suspect that identifying or
restricting a type locality for each will be necessary to the
identification of the species-what river you are in is perhaps more
important than what it looks like for identification of freshwater
mollusks.

> Getting back to Tiara nevilli, I see that Brot's Latin description is vague
> and general, but it does indicate (1) that the aperture is pyriform, and (2)
> the "Spira erosa..." Putting the latter character aside as it may be an
> extrinsic variable, I think That Brot's pyriform aperture may allow a
> conchological distinction between a smooth Brotia and Jagora dactylus. In
> all the shells illustrated by Köhler and Glaubrecht (2006), the anterior
> aperture is attenuated as if it were beginning to form a siphonal canal. Now
> this tendency varies, but I don't see it in the shells illustrated by Paul
> and by Marcus. Just a thought - not shared by K. and B., who (2006: 164) say
> the aperture may be "well-rounded or angled below. No features peculiar to
> Brotia."
>
> As I continued to search for Preston's listed species-level names in K. and
> B. (2006), I realized that species Preston placed in Tiara (Striatella) were
> not considered Brotia by the latter authors! It is very likely that K. and
> B. felt Brotia costula(ta) semilaevigata Annandale, 1921 belonged in a
> different genus - and not Antimelania [= Brotia fide K. and B., 2006].

Subba Rao cites Melania variabilis Benson, 1836 as the type of
Antimelania and in turn claims it is a synonym of "Brotia" costula.  I
haven't tried checking other references yet.

I'm having enough trouble figuring out the genera for North American
freshwater cerithioideans and haven't attempted to sort out names for
south Asian ones.  If you want a hint of the trouble in store, the
type of Elimia is a Pleurocera.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections