From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:58:46 -0500
I'd tend to advise against using WD-40 on shells. It is mainly silicone, which is harmless enough, but as it is intended for use on machinery it contains penetrants and other ingredients that might not disperse and that might cause problems in the longer run.
If you want to spray your shells with silicone, I would suggest mold release spray, which you can get from fiberglass suppliers. This is more or less 100% clean silicon in a solvent base.

Cheers,

PC.

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at www.malacological.org

>>> Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]> 2/14/2008 1:45 PM >>>
Another product that often works and is much safer is WD-40.  Like Goof-Off,
this will remove gummy material left by price stickers and I have used it to
clean bad spots on shells left by rubber bands.  It doesn't always work as
it seems different colors (materials) leave different stains.

Just a note on less-than-perfect shells.  I have a friend who actively looks
for these, most especially those that show the shell had a struggle against
a predator or rough environment and persevered.  Those "growth scars" or
"reef scars" indicate something of the life of the animal that constructed
that calcium carbonate wonder.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA