From:
Pete Krull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 21:03:44 -0500
One more thought on Mr. Dharma's new Amphidromus names. I was at the St Pete
shell show a week ago and a friend brought in a bag of Amphidromus with no
data. They were obviously A. poecilochrous.  I had Dharma's publication and
with that we were able to identify not only the name but also the specific
island where the shells no doubt came from. Without Dharma's work we would
have had a name but we could not have determined which among a group of
islands the shells came from.

Land snails living on a tropical island, or other geographically isolated
location,  may very well deserve at least a form name, if not subspecific
status, if the colony has any characteristics that set it apart from
colonies in other locations. The description should, of course, point out
those identifying characteristics. So, in effect, we'd be naming a colony as
opposed to a specific shell.