From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:27:46 -0400
Hi Susan,

You wrote:
> I am looking for information on Epitoniidae.

Comment: Have you seen the following websites with free information?

http://www.eurasiashells.net/fam_epitoniidae.html
http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/Family_EPITONIIDAE.html
http://www.jaxshells.org/went.htm
http://shells.tricity.wsu.edu/archerdshellcollection/Gastropoda/Epitoniidae.html

> I have seen a book called "The Wentletrap Book" by Art Weil.  However, I
> can not find it
> anywhere and have been told it would be quite expensive to boot. If I
> could find it I would invest in it.

Comment: At http://used.addall.com/ I can find 11 copies for sale priced
from about $184 to $290. Do you really want to spend this much before
exhausting less expensive sources of information about the family?

> What I am trying to do is understand the different genera or genus of this
> group.
> Up until a couple days ago I thought all were epitonium.
> I love this group and want to know more but
> can only find some basics. Can anyone point me to a good reference for
> more info?

Comment: Try http://www.unm.edu/~bneville/biblio.pdf
You may need to work with a local museum or library to get photocopies of
some of the papers on this list to get started.  As you read, you will learn
more and probably want to assemble more of these references.

> Although North Carolina has a limited number of Wentletraps available
> locally I want to expand.

Comment: Do you have the book Seashells of North Carolina by Hugh J. Porter
(UNC-SG-97-03)?  It may still be available from:

North Carolina Sea Grant College Program
Box 8605, North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8605
Phone: (919) 515-2454

Comment: Are you a member of the North Carolina Shell Club?  They can help
guide you in learning about shells.  They have all been very friendly to me.
http://www.ncshellclub.com/

> I will be taking a trip soon so the more I know the more I'll see.

Comment: Where are you going?

Hope this helps.

Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, VA